What we can offer
The South House is a gender-inclusive, non-judgemental, harm reductionist, anti-oppressive safer space for all students, staff and faculty of the Dalhousie and King’s community, as well as non-students and the general Halifax community.
Our cozy space offers a resource library and study space for both research and personal reading, a community kitchen, a child-friendly nook, and a common hang out space.
The South House provides referral services, effectively linking community members to a wide variety of services in the HRM.
We offer a free meeting space for anti-oppression groups and their informal or formal gatherings. We maintain a list of volunteer babysitters to help students with families who are in need of childcare services.
The South House also provides:
- Wheelchair accessibile space
- Breastfeeding-friendly space
- Wireless internet
- A projector
- A single-stall, all-gender washroom with free tampons, pads, condoms, baby powder, baby wipes, a safety deposit bin for needles, etc.
- Free pregnancy tests
- Regular free clothing swaps
- Volunteer opportunities
- LGBTQAI2+ library and ally space
- Educational programming
- Community events
- Resources for your ideas, projects, conferences, etc
- Free coffee and tea
- Opportunities to connect with like-minded community members and feminists
- Friendly and supportive staff and volunteers- we will lend a supportive ear and put you in touch with the right people
We are not a crisis center. We cannot offer crisis counseling, but we are able to refer people to organizations that are able to help in crisis situations. The South House does not offer professional counseling. We do not have doctors or therapists on staff, nor are our volunteers expected to fulfill professional counseling or medical services. The South House offers a welcoming, safe and supportive environment, and provides relevant referrals. In crisis situations or in if a client needs immediate assistance we are here to help by listening, supporting, offering a feminist perspective and alternative ways of thinking about and acting within the situation. We are not a counseling centre and are not prepared to provide medical advice, counseling or therapy to clients.