Outreach and Education Coordinator
40 hours weekly, 1-year contract with possibility of renewal
The South House Sexual and Gender Resource Centre (South House), currently located at 1443 Seymour St, Halifax, is now accepting applications for the position of full-time Outreach and Education Coordinator. Applicants must be available for at least a one-year term beginning Monday, August 24th, 2016 (negotiable).
Application deadline: Applications must be received either in person at the South House or via email at email@example.com (Subject: Outreach and Education Position Application) by Monday, July 11th at 11:59pm (AST).
About South House:
South House Sexual and Gender Resource Centre, formerly known as the Dalhousie Women’s Centre, is a student-funded, volunteer-driven resource centre that seeks to address and advocate for anti-oppression issues within a feminist framework. Originally founded in recognition of women’s common and diverse needs, South House recognizes that you cannot work for a society free of sexism and patriarchy without also working for a society free of all forms of oppression. South House supports all people dealing with oppression on the basis of sexuality and gender. South House believes in working together for the creation of a society that is vibrant, life-sustaining, and safe for people of all genders. South House aims to provide resources and referrals to the University and broader Halifax community, as well as a safe space for people to organize. The centre also offers a wide range of workshops and educational programs, available upon request.
The South House welcomes and prioritizes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization. A non-comprehensive list of these groups includes First Nations people, women, single parents, immigrants, people of colour, Black Nova Scotians, Inuit and Métis people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, two spirit, transgender, gender non-conforming, queer and intersex people, people with disabilities, Acadians, and working class people. We encourage applicants to describe the ways in which their lived experiences will inspire and lead their contributions to their role at South House in their cover letter. We recognize that writing a cover letter is not always accessible so we will also consider applicants that communicate these experiences through other media. Examples of this would be links to creative writing, a blog, video blogs, visual art, a non “formal” letter or email.
The Outreach and Education Coordinator works in collaboration with the full-time Administrative and Volunteer Coordinator, as well as the South House Board of Directors and volunteers, to fulfill the mandate of South House and to maintain daily Centre operations.
The ideal applicant should have strong oral and written communication skills, experience and comfort with representing the organization on radio, tv, and in print, and building media relationships, capacity to facilitate workshops, event planning experience, networking experience, and an interest in working within an anti-racist, feminist framework.
- Liaison with the South House Board (particularly with the Chair and Staff Relations Officer) regarding media communications on a provincial, local and campus level. This may include writing press releases, commenting on current issues and events, publicizing the goals of South House. This requires regular maintenance of the Facebook page, twitter account, and newsletter as necessary.
- Update the South House mailing list, bulletin boards, and website as needed.
- Coordinate the creation and distribution of specialty communication (e.g. letters of support or protest, petitions, thank you cards, etc.)
- Ensure that all materials released by the Centre are in line with the current constitution and mandate of South House
- Promote and advertise South House events within the University and the broader community.
- Respond to requests for training and programming from groups on campus and in the community, with a priority given to campus organizations and campaigns
- Evaluate the need for training or programming groups outside the centre and takes initiative of the creation of those events
Collaboration and Outreach
- Communicate with groups that have working relationships with the South House regarding current and upcoming events
- Communicate and build coalitions between the South House and other groups involved in anti-oppressive feminist advocacy work
- Identify new campaigns that the South House could be involved with
Shared Responsibilities with Administrative and Volunteer Coordinator:
- Ensure that resources and materials available in the Centre are up to date and relevant to the needs of the community
- Maintain open hours of the centre (Monday-Friday, 10am – 4pm) by coordinating with one another, board members, and volunteers
- Basic maintenance of the centre (cleaning, dishes, answering phone calls and voice mails, checking the South House email account)
- Co-draft any centre-wide policy as required along with Board Governance Committee
- Plan and execute collaborative projects for fundraising, both for the Centre (as needed) and other worthy institutions in the HRM
- Attend board meetings and report to the board on activities
- Define and coordinate advocacy work at the South House, ensuring that it is in line with the South House constitution, liability, and the capacity of the centre
- Liaise with the DSU, KSU and university staff and administration as necessary
- Update and expand upon referral service
Hours of work: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week, approximately 30 of which should be spent in the South House (dependent on the tasks at hand).
Please note that the position is levy-funded and that full-time hours are guaranteed through March 31, 2017 and are contingent upon renewal of the student levy following that time.
Rate of pay: $20/hour (before taxes), on a salaried monthly payment schedule.
Applications must be received either in person at the South House or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, July 11th at 11:59pm (AST). Please include a resume and cover letter (or alternative to a cover letter) detailing relevant qualifications and previous experience. Applicants will be contacted if invited for an interview.
If you have any further inquiries about the nature of the position, please contact email@example.com (Subject: Questions re: Outreach and Education Position)
Thank you for your interest!
The South House Board and Staff